Thursday, January 15, 2009

The white stuff must have got me high

Just after falling down a few times, my blue jeans was completely wet. I was having cold feet because of the wet socks. My fingers were frigid since the 10 dollar gloves were no good either. I lost my skis many times. I thought I had twisted my ankle. I just wanted to make it down hill back to the renting place. I just wanted to live.

Almost 5 years ago, I was having morbid thoughts on the slopes of Beaver hills in the mountains of Utah. All I could do to prevent crashing into trees or taking a 10ft dive was to stop abruptly by hitting the ground sideways. Five year old kids zipping past me made the situation seem worse for me. I didn’t know how to slow down, stop, turn or recover from a fall. And fall I did, many a time. Sympathetic passersby stopped by to ask if I was OK. Some told me to try the pizza wedge. Others told me to zigzag my way down. I did, to no avail. I fell and tumbled at every turn. After about 50 falls, I had mastered the art of getting up. About a hundred falls later I figured out I could use my already aching butt to make my way down. I sat on it through the bumps and troughs, determined to make it, no matter what. After an agonizing 2 hours I could finally see the rental office. I tumbled through the last of the many steep slopes and 20 minutes later I was where I had started.

Back at the rental place, I was trying to revive my fingers. I couldn’t feel them anymore. I ran warm water on them. I didn’t feel anything for a few minutes. Finally when the blood rushed back into the fingers, it was so unbelievably painful. I hadn’t experience anything like that before. I was still not sure about the ankle although the pain was much lesser than I had expected earlier.

As I was limping to the car, I began to recollect the events that took me to the top of the summit. Barely 10 minutes after I put the skis on and only after going down a small slope a couple of times I had impulsively hopped on to the lift. Only I didn’t know that the lift dropped you at the summit. As the seemingly endless ascent to the top began, the implications of this blunder began to sink in. I even considered taking the lift back to bottom of the summit but it looked equally dangerous. I had never worn a pair of skis, never been to a skiing place, never watched anyone ski, never skied down a slope until that morning. How did I ever think I was ready for it?

In spite of all the self inflicted torture, by the time I made it back to the rental place, I began to get a feel for skiing. I had tried the pizza wedge a few times. (It seemed to work when I was in no danger of crashing into a tree or hitting the ground!) I had learnt how to fall without hurting myself too much and to get up from the fall. And I was still alive. So I decided then that the next time I tried skiing, I would learn at least the basics before hopping on a lift.

….. and so I did. I went to the Wachusett ski resort a few weeks ago, took a lesson and have been skiing almost every weekend since. Not a pro yet, but one day I will try to make it to the Winter Olympics for the disabled (a twisted ankle or a broken knee!! All bets are open). I guess I’m just high on Boston lager and the Boston life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vijay, you are one of the mosy honest people, I know. After all of the time we worked together, I found you are not in anyway a person who gives up easily. Although there are many years between us, you are one person who I most admire. As a former skier, many years ago, I know from where you speak. Never quit my friend, never in skating or skiing, or in life. Always go to the summit no matter how difficult it may be to get down. The view is always better on the top. Life is yours, grab it.

Sarathy said...

Al,
I think you should write more often.. hehe... Thanks for the kind words!