Thursday, November 15, 2007

Are you addicted to coffee??

I just realized how addicted I am to coffee. Well its not exactly an addiction in that, I don't have to drink coffee at a certain time of the day to avoid having a headache. But when I smell or see or am around someone having coffee I blindly walk up to the counter and get me one. Sometimes I feel like a computer program that does things without stopping to ask "why"?

If (see_coffee || smell_coffee || think_coffee)
{
drink coffee;
}

In the last fortnight alone, I must have averaged 3 - 5 cups of coffee per day. That is a LOT of coffee even by the generous standards of my people back home in Chennai (South India in general is known for its addiction to coffee). One wise investment that I made was the coffee maker. At least I don't buy "all" of that coffee from starbucks (OK don't get me started on starbucks... maybe I gotta write on the insanity of paying $4.50 for a mocha.. althought that was kinda due to the exorbitance of my sister)!!

Years ago when the "coffee culture" started spreading like wildfire in Chennai, I had visited them high-end-coffee-pubs a few times (like coffee day, there was one in the residency towers on GN Chetty road). I remember 5 - 6 of us had gone to coffee day in Nungambakkam once. The prices were so ridiculously high (50 bucks for 1 coffee, whereas coffee in a regular hotel was like 3 bucks!!) that we ordered one cappuccino and split the cost by 6. Imagine the waiter walking up to us, a table of 6 people, and we ordered 5 waters and 1 coffee!! hahaha... must have been hilarious! The funda for visiting these joints though was to catch a glimpse of the broads, so it really did not matter how many coffees we bought. But if I went back today, I would rather prefer to quietly enjoy my coffee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

machiiiiiiii good stuff!!!!can relate to ur addiction, hahaha, starbucks la en paeru soli oru hot chocolate vaangiko(give mocha a break!!!)

Sarathy said...

hot chocolate with lots of whipped cream.. yum!!